Feb 11, 2011

Nokia + Microsoft = Joke of the day

Let me first admit one thing upfront here - I have never used a Nokia phone, nor have I used a Windows phone. That should make me completely unfit and incompetent to comment on this matter.

But I do use phones and do have this blog where I and only I can post stuff....so here we go!


My first mobile was an Ericsson and I still remember surprising my wife calling from outside my apartment, she thinking I was still in the office. Ever since I have owned Alcatel, Motorola, Palm and various other phones. Right now I am hooked on Android and I have three Android phones - LG GT540, P500 and the Motorola DEFY. I love them all, with DEFY being the flavor of the month.


Nokia, as we all know, has lost the mojo...interestingly so has M$. That's the beauty of all these smartphones that practically everyone owns or wants to own. They sell by the millions and mint money for many but not the usual suspects. They have come with new chips (ARM, Snapdragon), new Operating Systems (Android, Iphone) and from new companies (HTC, Samsung, LG and others) that were never there when Nokia and (remember?) Ericsson were ruling the mobile world..

And what can Microsoft/Nokia do?

Well they decided to team up. Just like Asus-Garmin, Sony-Ericsson, Benq-Siemens and so many others...

A company with a failed operating system (Windows phone) is partnering with a firm with a business model that, in the CEO's own words, is collapsing around it.

What can Nokia Windows phone do that HTC or other makes can't? Your guess is as good as mine. And what can Nokia do to enhance the pathetic mind share and market share that Windows 7 has managed to command, despite endorsement from LG, HTC and others? God knows.

As for me, I would be happy to place my bets on Motorola - it has embraced Android and it has also shown how it is possible to bounce back into contention with cool models like DEFY (I own one) that use 'commodity' Android system and yet keep USP alive and kicking...

After all, Microsoft has taught us one valuable lesson - there is not much room for too many players in the OS market. Perhaps it is time they read the book they wrote.

No comments: